Monday, April 19, 2010

Squared



My friend Sylvie (yes, same name) is leaving Auckland on Thursday, to go far away. 
I'm going to miss her so much, and I asked her to write a little something before she leaves. Here it is - 

'I hate to see her go, but I love to watch her leave' says Lil Wayne, and it's like he's singing about me. I feel most wanted when people say goodbye to me. 

I am quite good at leaving - for some reason it brings out the best in me.Given my restless childhood spent shifting around New Zealand and around the world, I guess it's no wonder I'm so good at packing up and moving on. I never own much more than what will fit inside a suitcase. I love the promise of new experiences that comes with venturing away from the safety of home. And I love the rush of freedom you get when you realise you've just arrived in a city where no-one knows who you are.

But the thing I love most about leaving is that it gives you the opportunity to tell everyone how much you love them. The anticipated departure makes these moments bitter-sweet, but it's always nice to hear you'll be missed. And it's cool being able to tell your friends and family how you feel. 

We always wait til the last minute, until it's necessary, or even expected, to say we love each other. Maybe we should do it more often.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment