Thursday, April 15, 2010

Not another one

The humble handshake.
What's with that?
It seems like everywhere you go, every time you meet or greet someone, a handshake is on order, and I for one am not a fan.
Employers, friends, friends of friends - it's constant. Even turning on my phone presents me with an image of two virtual hands clasping.
Every time I go in for one it's like when I go in for a salt and vinegar chip:(my mouth ripples in anticipation of the extreme vinegar), my hands glaze over with sweat.
I'm sorry, maybe it's the humidity, maybe it's just over-thinking, but every time! And then the meeting is ruined by me thinking about how sickly my sweaty palm must have felt. Everyone my age talks about awkwardness, which is funny, I never hear my mum describe anything as awkward, or anyone in that generation. Maybe you just shift from anxiety to relaxation with age. Or maybe there's just more to be awkward about now, or we're just more aware of it. If body language says it all, what does a sweaty palm say?
I think I need to move to Europe, a kiss on either cheek suits me much better.
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment