Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Love is in the air

I was thinking today about how much I love Baz Luhrmann movies, particularly Moulin Rouge.  I don't know many others who share this love, lots of people have said to me that they found the music annoying, or Nicole Kidman, or the theatrical over the top fast forward magic eye buzz of it all. But I liked these things, in fact I think it's probably one of the most visually spectacular films I've ever seen.  I love the detail in all the costumes: lots of colour, jewels and intricate embellishments. I love the men in black tuxedos and Kylie as a fairy and all the bursting into song. It's just a beautiful film..



Moulin Rouge wasn't the beginning of my love affair with Baz though, how could it be when the amazing Strictly Ballroom and Romeo and Juliet came before?  These two movies are both totally captivating, romantic and stunning.  I love in Romeo and Juliet that all the Montagues wear Hawaiian shirts (probably the only time I have ever liked a Hawaiian shirt on anyone), and Tybalt (generally) and all the religious iconography throughout the movie:


       


       

       
       
Strictly Ballroom plays on the grossness, craziness, and crassness of the ballroom dancing industry in Australia. I love all the tantrums and bickering, all the character's names (Tina Sparkle), the orange tan and severe accents. In amongst all this there is of course Fran, the one who steals the show, love love.
xx

1 comment:

  1. I own the set and love it dearly!! I'm sure our mutual love for Moulin Rouge came up in our traveling days, but it is wonderful to know I have a kindred spirit out there. Love you and miss you Sylv

    xoxo Rachy Rach

    ReplyDelete