Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Laneway II



When you buy a ticket for an event like Laneway, you are basically paying to get spoiled. 

In one glorious day you get lots of space, lots of sun, lots of friends and lots of bands. More importantly, lots of good bands.

This was the first festival of its kind to take place in Auckland and I am hoping, after its success, that there will be plenty more in the future. A great mix of local and international acts filled two stages from midday til late. All the bands gave fantastic performances but if I had to pick highlights I would say the best acts were...

Street Chant
These guys were the first band to play which meant a smaller crowd than their epic performance deserved. I really like their energy and crazy shows, looking forward to seeing them again when they open for The Dead Weather (March 17)

The xx
I wasn't very familiar with this band before today, but now I’m a huge fan. Their sound is really simple and subtle and intense, listen!


Florence and the Machine
Of course! She was never going to disappoint, but her performance was honestly more than I had expected. Some music gives you shivers, that’s the effect it had on me. I also loved the way she swung between her huge singing voice and her quiet, British, between-song-banter voice. It always helps when they seem like a cool person as well as a great talent. 
xx


No comments:

Post a Comment