Saturday, March 6, 2010

Confessions

I chose the title of this post because it basically covers the two topics I wanted to discuss today. The first is revealing guilty pleasures and the second is pop music. 'Confessions' you see, is the name of an Usher album.  The tone of this album was confessional because it came about after Usher cheated on his long term girlfriend and got his 'bit on the side' pregnant.  How do I know this? Simple: I have a secret love of trashy pop.  Usher isn't really a guilty pleasure of mine, in fact I find him quite painful. But I still know a bit about him, as I do a lot of pop stars.  I'm probably not alone here, since the word 'pop' derives from 'popular' it's fair to say that it can't only be 15 year old girls who revel in the chart toppers. 

I'm going to Lady Gaga next Saturday, bought a Beyonce DVD a couple of weeks ago (amazing), and am a lifelong fan of Gwen Stefani. Ah, it feels good to say. But my love of the lowbrow doesn't stop at music, oh no, as soon as I get on a long distance flight and have a huge selection of movies available, my first point of call is the beloved chick flick. On my way back from Japan I devoured  Confessions of a shopaholic and I love you, Man. Neither was particularly good, and I could pass them off with the age old - I just needed something i could zone out to - line, but really..really, is that even true?

I'm going to put it out there and say that a healthy does of pop in your life does wonders. Bad day? Break up? Try a power ballad, I would recommend Mariah. Not modern Mariah, but the Mariah of back in the day who had an epic perm and sung with Boyz II Men.  Everyone says that music these days has gone to the dogs, and sure, a lot of it's pretty bad. My taste does not extend to the current trend of electro plagued pop (ala Black Eyed Peas). But there's a lot of goodness out there too, see my picks below:
xx

The old 


The new





It's all good

No comments:

Post a Comment