Wednesday, January 27, 2010

You look nice

 
If I’m honest I would have to say that I’ve always had a penchant for the 1990s and all its trends (excluding the meat/fruit culinary combination and the colour lime green). 

Plaid shirts, power suits and bad horror films all gained prominence in a decade when I was an unfortunately surly teen, oblivious to the glory surrounding me.
  
I am reminded of this glory in my newest obsession: David Lynch’s series Twin Peaks.  Yes, yes, I know this is not a unique discovery and although I’m aware of being behind the times, Twin Peaks has a newness to me beyond the bandwagon jump.


What I love about this series is – amongst many things – the make up and style throughout.  Make up in the 90s was, in my opinion, brilliant.  Paleness was desired and everything was matte.  Following this decade came a blizzard of bronzer, sparkles, outrageous colours and excessive application. But let's put that aside and focus on the simplicity of the 90s palette.  Twin peaks is a great example of female characters who are striking without asking to be.  


Red lipstick, theatrical heavy eye-brows and orange eye-shadow are all staples in this series.  I also love the androgynous clothing many of the female characters adorn (Josie particularly). Take a look:
xx






No comments:

Post a Comment